Sunday, March 3, 2013

On books: Nasir El-Rufai's The Accidental Public Servant



Last Saturday I got a copy of Nasir El-Rufai’s recently published book THE ACCIDENTAL PUBLIC SERVANT, his memoirs about his years as Minister of  the Federal Capital Territory and Director General of the Bureau of Pubic Enterprises of the Federal Republic of Nigeria. Based on the number of pages, more than 600 (!), it looks daunting.  If you are planning to read it, I think you just have to prepare yourself for a long haul.  It is not something you can finish in a couple of days, even if you are a fast reader. My plan is to read the chapters in batches. So far I have read the foreword (by Tunde Bakare) and the ex-minister’s acknowledgements of people who assisted him while he was writing the book and I like what I have read. One thing about my reading habits these days is that when I read a lengthy book, I tend to skip some pages that I don't find interesting. I do that to novels as well. Oh dear...


No comments:

Post a Comment