Thursday, March 7, 2013

Inside Track Interview with Doha Sarieddine - President of the Abuja International Women's Club


Doha Makarem Sarieddine from Lebanon first arrived in Abuja in October 2008. This was after she and Lewa, her husband who is also a Lebanese, got married and decided to reside here in Abuja. In her opinion, the FCT “is the most livable city in Nigeria,” which she considers very important for their two young sons. Along the way, in September last year, Doha became the president of the Abuja International Women’s Club (also known as AIWC), which has served as a meeting point for women from different countries for several years now, giving them opportunities to relax, to network, to learn and exchange ideas and information.
Having met Doha at least a couple of times, I thought it would be great to know her opinion about life in Abuja and what advice she has for women coming here for the first time. More than that, Doha, who is an MBA degree holder with a soft heart for underprivileged children, tells us about growing up in Lebanon and how she divides her time between the things she loves doing most, such as being a mom, meeting people, making new friends, and doing consultancy works for hospitality groups in the country, among other things.

INSIDE TRACK: What’s the reason why you are in Abuja?
Doha: I got married to Lewa who's been living in Nigeria for 17 years and has his business established in the country. But we chose Abuja specifically for our residence because it’s the most livable city in Nigeria which is very important for our 2 young boys.

CLICK TO ENLARGE
Doha, left, with Dr Ashia Siddiqi-Hussain,
guest speaker who talked about cervical cancer
INSIDE TRACK: What do you enjoy most about living in Abuja? 
Doha: The sun, the time available to practice my hobbies, the routine I can set for my two boys, and the opportunity to meet and learn a lot from people, both Nigerians and members of the international community.

INSIDE TRACK: Was it easy meeting people and making friends the first time you arrived in Nigeria?
Doha: The Lebanese community is a big one, so it's pretty easy to meet people, but the Abuja International Women's Club made it much easier to get outside this circle and open up to meet people from all over the world which makes it even more interesting. 

INSIDE TRACK: What made you join the Abuja International Women’s Club? How long have you been a member and what do you enjoy most about this group? 
Doha: I joined in September 2009. I hadn't heard about the club when I met a lady-member, Shirley Bowry, and she invited me to attend a meeting. I was very impressed to see so many ladies from different countries getting together in one place. I got very excited and I became a member since then; and I still enjoy it as it is very enriching. Meeting people from different nationalities, different cultures and backgrounds makes me learn a lot about so many levels and makes me have a different perspective, a wider one before I judge any situation and even not to judge people based on my own mindset. I also enjoy it because it is a great opportunity to socialize and learn different know-how from other ladies. That makes living in Abuja even more interesting. 

Doha, left, with a guest speaker at the
monthly AIWC meeting
INSIDE TRACK: How did you become the President of the Abuja International Women’s Club? 
Doha: Well I've been a committee member since 2010. But in September 2012 the AIWC was about to dissolve as there were not enough ladies interested or able to join and form an efficient new committee. Here's when I felt a personal responsibility not to let that happen after all the efforts made by the ladies who were previously in charge. I approached some ladies and persuaded them to join. It worked! Once we had the right number and the right people to form a committee, there came the question of who's going to preside. I suggested Dr. Madeleine Collie who has a great experience with NGOs and similar groups but Madeleine preferred to be vice-president – as her commuting outside Abuja had to be limited for personal reasons – and I the president which was supported by the other members. And that's how we started.

INSIDE TRACK: Aside from AIWC, what other associations or groups do you belong to? And why did or do you choose to be a part of these associations?
Doha: When I'm in Lebanon I'm a volunteer at the Children Cancer Center. I've always had weakness towards unprivileged children and just feel that these little angels deserve nothing but the best and I would do anything to contribute with whatever I have to make it easier from them in their battle.

INSIDE TRACK: Which part of your country do you come from and how is it different from the rest of the country?
CLICK TO ENLARGE
Doha, right, with members of AIWC
Doha: I come from Mount Lebanon, an area known for its lovely weather, beautiful views from all directions and forests full of pine trees. You feel that technology and globalization have not damaged the environment that much; people are still trying to preserve their traditions and identity. But somehow I feel I have roots in every other Lebanese region as every place has its beauty and its special meaning to me. 

INSIDE TRACK: Can you describe a bit of your growing up years?
Doha: I grew up in a family of three kids, a sister, a brother and loving parents. My mother is a perfectionist so she had high expectations from us, and a believer who always guides us on the right path. My father was an intellectual, he would never compromise his principles. I never stopped looking up to him. We had to live in an area different from where I was born due to the war and my father’s work. So I went to school in Bekaa where I got my French education, then moved to the capital Beirut for university education where I got an MBA from the Lebanese American University. These changes gave me an open mind and tolerance for "the other" despite his or her belongings. It also taught me adaptability to different situations. 

INSIDE TRACK: What did you wish to become when you were growing up? 
Doha: I've always wanted to be a psychologist, but due to the lack of student orientation in Lebanon I went in a completely other direction. Got a degree in hospitality management then an MBA. I worked in different departments of Lebanon' s best 5 star hotel and taught leadership and other hospitality courses. I still read a lot of psychology books though. 

INSIDE TRACK: What do you miss most about home? 
Doha: Home, family, the nature and weather in my village and how it feels, and some friends who became like siblings. I also miss the endless outing venues. 

INSIDE TRACK: What does a busy day for you look like? 
Doha: Well, most days are very long. I usually wake up at six to prepare my son for school then drive him there, come back, check my mails, and get ready for the club activities. In the afternoon I pick up my son, have lunch with my husband and the boys, do some planning and paper work, answer mails, make my phone calls, then I spend some time with the boys, read for them and put them to sleep, then attend to various other matters. On the professional level, I'm a consultant to some hospitality groups which keeps me busy all the time. I spare my time in the car to read a good book. 

INSIDE TRACK: How do you cope with raising children here in Nigeria?
Doha: In fact, I think that Nigeria is a very good place to raise children. The weather is convenient, you can easily set a routine for them and it’s a great opportunity for them to learn and understand about other cultures. The challenge is the lack of health care facilities and of course when they reach their teenage years they will need to live in a place where they have more opportunity to advance their education and practice their hobbies and talents.

INSIDE TRACK: What is your advice to expats, especially the women, who are coming to Abuja for the first time?
Doha: Women influence the attitude of the whole family, so come with a positive attitude and it will be a great experience to live in Nigeria. Help the local community if you could. Benefit from the many activities that you might not have the chance or the time to practice back home; try to take advantage of the free time to learn new skills or hobbies. Enjoy the sun, the leisure time, and the cheerful nature of the Nigerian people. Look at things with an open mind. Abuja is a lovely city if you decide to perceive it as such.

============================================================================

Some members of the Abuja International Women's Club

ABOUT AIWC - HOW TO BE A MEMBER
Membership with the Abuja International Women’s Club is open to all nationalities including Nigerians. AIWC aims to promote tolerance and understanding of different cultures by engaging in a wide range of social activities and also support humanitarian projects with the local community.

You can become a member by joining one of the club’s social events. There’s a registration or annual fee of N5,000 which provides you with full membership and a chance to participate in the club’s exciting and interesting programme of events throughout the year. Aside from providing an avenue to meet people, make new friends, share experiences and tap into the knowledge of other members, benefits include a free copy of the AIWC e-newsletter. Things to look forward to are the monthly meetings where a speaker on a certain topic is usually invited.

Upon registration, you get a copy of the AIWC Constitution, which formally explains the purpose and objectives of the club. For information, send e-mail to: abujaiwc@yahoo.com.

You can follow the ABUJA INTERNATIONAL WOMEN'S CLUB on Facebook by searching for the same name. The pics below show members of the AIWC during their monthly activities...

Visiting the DAUGHTERS OF CHARITY
Kubwa

Monthly meeting at Sheraton Hotel

AIWC cooking session

No comments:

Post a Comment