Saturday, June 2, 2012

A trip to Bwari Pottery in the outskirts of Abuja




One Sunday afternoon a couple of months back, my friends and I decided to embark on a trip to the Bwari Pottery, located about an hour’s drive from Utako. We didn’t know the way to the pottery, but luckily for us, our driver knew exactly where to go. We passed through the Kubwa road and then branched out to another road, passed through one market with all sorts of vendors on each side - and there it was, the pottery. 

There were various designs of pots, vases, bowls, etc. on display. We met the owner – who did not allow us to bargain for the pieces we wanted to buy (everything was fixed price) because he said maintaining the place takes a lot of money. And he has to pay taxes, his workers, the materials and many other things, which we understood quite well.

I am personally so glad I made that trip because I got some really nice items that are now on display in my house. We were told that if you wish, you can make your own designs and they’d then put them in the kiln for you and you can either pick them up at a later date or have them delivered to your place here in Abuja...

No comments:

Post a Comment