Friday, March 20, 2009

Letter to the Editor

Below is an email we received from one of our readers:

Hi I am moving to Abuja in early May to live with my partner who will be working in the city for up to two years.

I am slightly nervous about coming out after hearing mixed reviews of the city and quality of life, ranging from very positive to the very
negative. This has made me a bit frightened and apprehensive.

I would be really interested in hearing your views having read your blog. My partner will be working from 9-7 5 days a week. At present I cannot
drive. Is it safe for women to travel, get taxi's, walk around and drive alone?
(I am planning to pass my test before moving.)

Also are there any expat clubs which I could join? I will not know anyone when I move so it would be really good to meet people and get involved.

Many best wishes,
Jessica

Dear Jessica,

First of all, as you may already know, Abuja is where almost all Diplomatic Missions in Nigeria are located, as well as the fact that the Nigerian President's official residence is here, so I guess these will say much about the security and quality of life in the city.
Getting a taxi is generally safe (during the day at least), as well as walking around and driving alone.

Regarding the clubs, scroll down to see some of the clubs and associations you can join when you get here.

We wish you a pleasant stay in Abuja...

Araceli
Editor
.
.

No comments:

Post a Comment